History of Imperial Hotel Ostrava
At the start of the 20th century Moravian Ostrava was the most important center for coal mining and heavy industry in the entire Habsburg Empire. Naturally, the dynamic change into a large city led to the development of a wide range of hotel and accommodation services, thereby allowing the city to show, in addition to the vast iron works, mines, steel plants and coke ovens, its more amiable and hospitable side in the form of coffee shops, taverns and hotels.
In the end, what could the weary visitor appreciate in the otherwise dismal, blackened city other than comfortable accommodations and the high quality of services that went with them?
So thought seasoned Ostrava innkeeper Josef Petzak, when he applied to the city of Moravian Ostrava for a hotel license in November 1902. His business aims received the unanimous support of the general committee led by Mayor Gustav Fiedler at its session on January 2nd, 1903. And thus resolution no. 22370 allowed Josef Petzak, a 47-year-old native of Olomouc, to turn his vision of constructing a first-class hotel into reality. Holding his own against the competition offered by other modern facilities at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, such as the Café Habsburg or the Café Union on the main square of the hotel Slavia (on today’s Hollarova Street) required him to come up with first and foremost a well-thought-out business plan. Today, more than 110 years later, we can say it has withstood the test of time....
Hotel Imperial offers:
- 145 rooms and 11 stylish apartments
- Gourmet La Brasserie restaurant
- Fitness Centre with running belts, exercise bikes & other exercise equipment
- Cosmetics services with pedicure and hairdressing salon
- Laundry and dry-cleaning services
- Non-stop reception with supplementary services
- 9 multi-functional conference rooms (25 – 238 m2)
- Free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel
- Barrier-free access
- Room service
- Parking in the underground garage with a car wash or in front of the hotel for a charge
- Services of the Casino Merkur in the hotel building